ubermix is designed to be a small and fast combination of the Ubuntu Linux operating system and popular open-source applications, wrapped in an easy-to-use interface that is optimized for small screens common on netbooks (although it also works great on larger screens). The cornerstone of the interface is the application launcher, which you can see to the right.
For the most part, the interface is relatively self-explanatory, with application categories at the bottom and application icons at the top. Clicking on any of the application categories on the bottom changes the available application icons in the top section, displaying those that match the category.
- Ctrl-alt-t opens a terminal window at any time
- The default user account is called "user" and is added to the sudoers file with the NOPASSWD option, which allows for installation/configuration by the user without any password prompts.
- Virtual terminal switching has been disabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to prevent confusion and/or accidental ctrl-alt-F1 thru ctr-alt-F6 terminal switching
- "Screen lock" and all the hotkeys associated with it have been disabled
- Print screen button has been modified to use "interactive" mode, enabling the user to select the screen grab mode they prefer
- Trackpad tapping is disabled by default. To re-enable, go to "System" and click "Mouse"
- A number of keyboard shortcuts have been changed/disabled to prevent confusion and accidental selection. To adjust these settings, go to "System" then click "Keyboard Shortcuts"
- Settings and defaults for all applications have been optimized for use on netbooks and small screens
For further assistance with basic usage of the system, click on the "Help" icon in the "Favorites" category.
How to use the quick recovery features
One of the key features of this custom build is the ability to quickly recover from problems and restore the system to a default state. This process is relatively non-destructive, as all of the user's files can be retained, should you so choose. To perform a quick restore, perform the following steps:
- If the machine is already off, press the power button to turn it on. If it is running, press the power button and choose "Restart" from the menu that appears.
- Immediately after you see the system's splash screen the screen will go black for about 3 seconds - press ESC during those 3 seconds to enter the boot menu. Be prepared - you will only have 3 seconds to press the ESC key.
- When you see the following screen, choose "Restore Factory Settings"
- After a few moments, you will see the following screen. Choose your option (usually will be "1")
- Follow any additional directions on the screen.
In a few seconds (literally) your netbook will be reset to a standard configuration.